Recipe by JamesDean'sGirl
Ariy and light free-form omelets filled with sweet strawberry jam. You can add shredded cheese, cream cheese, ham, fried potatoes--whatever, to suit personal tastes. Makes a special breakfast; recipe from Gourmet.
- 4 large egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup superfine sugar, plus more for dusting
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup strawberry jam
- powdered sugar, for final dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425*F. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Generously butter a large rimmed baking sheet; generously dust with superfine sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Beat in the superfine sugar, 1 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition, until firm peaks form.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks until pale yellow; gently fold into the beaten whites.
- Using a flat spatula, use 1/2 the egg mixture to form 4 5x3" ovals on the prepared baking sheet. With the back of a spoon, make a 2" long indentation in the center of each oval; fill with 1 tablespoons of the jam.
- Cover with the remaining egg mixture to enclose the jam.
- Bake the souffles about 10 minutes, until puffed and golden but still slightly jiggly in the center. Using a metal spatula, transfer the omelets to plates gently; dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately.