Recipe by TWeddi
This is a light version of potato pancakes (I don't mean low fat just not as heavy as regular potato pancakes). Make smaller pancakes and add a topping of your choice for an appetizer.
- 2 1⁄2 cups potatoes, grated
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 -8 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Place egg yolks in a large bowl. Lightly bat yolks.
- Add salt and pepper to flour and mix.
- Stir in onions and flour mixture in with egg yolks.
- Squeeze potatoes in a towel to release unwanted moisure. Add potatoes to egg and onion mixture and blend well.
- Whip egg whites until fluffy but not dry and fold into batter.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of margarine in a large skillet over medium heat. For each pancake, drop 1 heaping tablespoon of batter into pan. Flatten into thin, 3 inch wide pancakes.
- Saute 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook other side till golden brown.
- Add more margarine to the pan as necessary to complete cooking all the batter.
- Serve warm.