Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A pancake that puffs up like a souffle.
- Stand the jam or compote in a basin on top of the aga to warm and soften.
- Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre of the flour mixture.
- Add the egg yolks and some of the milk.
- Whisk or beat in gradually adding more milk to make a smooth batter.
- Beat in the vanilla essence.
- Whisk the egg white until white and fluffy but not stiff.
- Beat 1 tablespoon egg white into the batter and then gently fold in the remaining egg white.
- Heat the pan on the boiling plate.
- Transfer to the simmering plate and add enough butter to grease the pan.
- Pour in enough batter to cover the.
- base of the pan and cook the pancake until set flip over and cook the second side briefly.
- Slip onto a warm plate or dish spread softened warm jam or fruit compote over half the pancake and fold over the second half.
- Keep warm in the simmering oven.
- Repeat using all the batter.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.
- You will need a good strong pan to make these but they make a delicious dessert.
- Do not be too ambitious and make them only when cooking for a small number of guests.
made these today. worked out very well. I assumed 50 sugar was in grams. I'll be making these again.