Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a puffy omelet with creamy brie cheese. Nice for a brunch!The picture I have here is made with half the ingredients.
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 tablespoons cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons brie cheese, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sauteed mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup sauteed onion
- Beat egg yolks until thick and light in color.
- Add cream, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Beat egg whites till they form peaks then fold into yolk mixture and gentle toss in mushrooms and onions.
- Pour into a hot buttered cast iron pan.
- Cook slowly until omelet puffs up and is firm on the bottom.
- Place into a preheated oven 350 degrees for about 3 minutes then sprinkle brie on top and bake for 2 more minutes.
- Fold omelet in half and serve.
Loved this omelet. I had a couple of issues - not the recipes fault. My mixer broke while I was beating the egg whites. aarghhh. Then I cooked it a little too long on the stove top so it was a little overly browned. Still tasted wonderful though. For the mushrooms, I used Wild Mushroom Savory Sauté (also by Rita) and used a combination of chanterelles, shiitake, morels, porcini and cremini mushrooms and shallots. Great flavors and thanks for sharing Rita. Made for ZWT5 2009.
This was an excellent omelette, I cut the recipe in half using 2 extra large eggs (this was still huge - one would have been enough!) . My only change was to use shallots instead of onion, and I put the mushrooms and shallots in the center with the cheese. I first made puffy omelettes as a teenager but in more recent years didn't make them to save time, this will have me going back to them! IT cooked on the stovetop a little longer than I wanted to because of trying to take pictures, but it didn't taste overcooked at all. I used my non-stick pan, which made it a dream for taking out of the pan. Thanks Rita for another great recipe; made for the ZWT 5 French Omelette Challenge by one of the Cooks With Dirty Faces
This was my first "puffy" omelet and it came out great! The directions were easy to follow and the timing just right. I also think these ingredients would work very well with a "conventional" omelet too. The only change I made was I grated a pinch of fresh nutmeg into the omelet since it goes so well with eggs and any dairy. Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT5 Omelette Challenge.