Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Another recipe that I learnt to make at college and has served me well over the years. It's really simple and very effective. Cook time is approx chill time.
- Prepare a souffle dish (or individual dishes or glasses) by tying a wide strip of oiled greaseproof paper around the outside top edge with string so that it extends about 1-1 1/2 inches above the top of the dish.
- Soak the gelatine in cold water. Lightly grate the zest of the lemons and squeeze the juice into a bowl.
- Add the zest, egg yolks and sugar to the lemon juice and whisk over a pan of hot water until the mixture thickens and turns a very light colour.
- Dissolve the gelatine in a few drops of water over heat; mix in to the lemon mixture and remove from heat.
- Lightly whisk cream until 3/4 stiff. Stiffly beat egg whites.
- Stir the lemon mixture frequently until almost on setting point. Gently fold in the cream, then repeat with the egg whites.
- Pour into the prepared dish/glasses so that the mixture comes above the level of the dish and into the paper collar; chill in the fridge to set.
- When ready to serve, remove the paper collars and decorate the sides with green chopped almonds or pistachios.
Please review your recipe directions. In Step 2, I put the lemon juice (from 1 Meyer lemon for half a recipe) in a bowl. It was never mentioned again. I realized the problem when I heated up the dissolved gelatin (in the U.S., gelatin sheets are not readily available, but when the directions asked that I soak the gelatin in cold water, I used 1/4 cup cold water for 1/4 oz. Knox unflavored gelatin powder [1 envelope] for half a recipe) in the microwave for 30 seconds for Step 4. Realizing my dilemma, I added the gelatin mixture to the lemon juice and then added that to the double boiler egg yolk-zest-confectioners sugar mixture, which I removed from the heat and began whisking. In Step 5, I opted to beat the egg whites first with clean beaters and then the cream. The "3/4 stiff" didn't translate well for me, so I went for soft peaks. I don't know if my lemon juice dilemma affected the rest of the recipe. My half recipe resulted in 2 small soufflé cups and 1/2 a small custard cup. (For the souffle collars, I taped wax paper around the cups.) Photo to follow of the soufflé ramekins. I expected a wow flavor, but I think the missing directions impacted my enjoyment. Made for Rookie Recipe Tag.