Recipe by Mme M
From The Dairy Book of Family Cookery. This is an English recipe, and is best with English Cheddar (but you can use another Cheddar cheese!).
Top Review by Mrs. Duncan Mahogany
This was very tasty. I added a bit of garlic and onion powder along with some red pepper flakes. I needed something "soft" to make for my son's sore mouth after a visit to the orthodontist. Thanks Mme Melissa!
- 2 pints milk
- 4 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon French mustard
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the milk to the boil in a saucepan, place the breadcrumbs in a bowl, and pour the milk over. Stir in the cheese.
- In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs with mustard and with milk and breadcrumbs. Season. Blend with the above mixture.
- Butter a large, shallow 5 pint ovenproof dish well, and pour in the cheese pudding mixture. Bake in the oven at 350F for about 45 minutes, until lightly set and golden.
- Serve at once with a crisp salad that uses all of your favorite ingredients, with a lovely, herby dressing.