Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From The Dairy Book of Family Cookery. This is an English recipe, and is best with English Cheddar (but you can use another Cheddar cheese!).
- 2 pints milk
- 4 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon French mustard
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Bring the milk to the boil in a saucepan, place the breadcrumbs in a bowl, and pour the milk over. Stir in the cheese.
- In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs with mustard and with milk and breadcrumbs. Season. Blend with the above mixture.
- Butter a large, shallow 5 pint ovenproof dish well, and pour in the cheese pudding mixture. Bake in the oven at 350F for about 45 minutes, until lightly set and golden.
- Serve at once with a crisp salad that uses all of your favorite ingredients, with a lovely, herby dressing.
This was very tasty. I added a bit of garlic and onion powder along with some red pepper flakes. I needed something "soft" to make for my son's sore mouth after a visit to the orthodontist. Thanks Mme Melissa!
This was so easy to make & light as air, but had a rich & lovely delicate flavor. I made a half recipe for 2 of us as written, but did add a bit of garlic as a pers pref & scattered fresh-snipped chives on top for color. I served it w/grilled trout fillets & a sml salad garnish. We loved it, Melissa. Thx for sharing your grandma's excellent recipe w/us. :-)