Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Good after a rich dinner.
- 4 eggs, separated, room temp
- 10 tablespoons sugar, divided (125 g)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (25 g)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 lemons, zest of, grated
- 1 deep 9 inch partially baked sweet tart crust (recipe 71610)
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks, gradually adding 1/4 c sugar, until thick and foamy; add the flour, lemon juice, and zest and beat 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Transfer to the top of a double boiler.
- Cook, STIRRING CONSTANTLY, over simmering water until the mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon (like lemon curd before adding the butter).
- Remove the pan from the water and cool completely.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks are formed; gradually beat in the remaining sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy, but don't over beat.
- Stir a quarter of the egg whites into the lemon mixture to lighten and then gently fold in the remaining with a rubber spatula.
- Gently pour the filling into the tart shell and smooth the top.
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake until the crust is deep golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool on a rack and then remove the sides of the pan.