Recipe by Clare 'E-Foodie' Jones
My take on Panera Bread's Broccoli & Cheddar Soup...it's really close, except for the carrot bits! Kept the fat down until you get to the cheddar ( - try and get block cheese and shred yourself, it melts better than the pre-shredded. )! really easy and warming. Enjoy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 lb frozen chopped broccoli
- 4 cups chicken broth (low sodium, fat free)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- kosher salt
- cracked black pepper
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Over a medium-low heat melt the butter in a largish saucepan and then add the onion and garlic and saute until softened.
- 2. Add the onion, garlic powder and white pepper and cook for a minute.
- 3. Add the broccoli and chicken broth, bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 mins until broccoli is softened.
- 4. In the meantime whisk the flour with the milk until flour dissolved.
- 5, With a hand blender, rough blend the soup leaving some broccoli pieces. You don't want it completely smooth.
- 6. On a medium heat gradually add the milk mixture. The soup will thicken.
- 7. Once milk mixture added add the cheddar and melt through the soup.
- 8. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 9. If the soup is too thick, add some more milk to thin.