Recipe by Karen Elizabeth
From Alison & Simon Holst "Very Easy Vegetarian Cookbook". Although I'm not a lover of eggplant OR mushrooms, I did enjoy this! Since I only had one small eggplant, I added in sliced zucchini (about 3 small, sliced lengthways), and because I love blue cheese, I added that to the cheddar cheese for the topping, using about half a cup of each. I'm posting the recipe as originally published, but I did enjoy my small changes! oh, also, the ingredient list separates the amounts of oil, salt, etc, I just add it as I need it! And I used the yoghurt option for the topping. As I typed, it occurred to me that a layer of thinly sliced tomatoes on top of the final eggplant layer (underneath the yoghurt topping), would probably be really nice! Try it!
- 1 large eggplant (I used 1 smallish and three smallish zucchini)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 minced garlic clove
- 250 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 -2 tablespoon basil pesto
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup unsweetened plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 cup cheddar cheese (tasty)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Slice eggplant into 1 cm thick slices, brush each side lightly with olive oil and arrange the slices on one or two baking trays. (Ditto for zucchini, although I sliced them lengthways).
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until eggplant is soft and beginning to brown slightly. Remove from oven.
- While the eggplant bakes, peel and slice the onion, heat oil in frying pan, add onion and garlic, and sautee, stirring frequently, until onion has softened.
- Stir in sliced mushrooms and cook gently until mushrooms have wilted. Add pesto, salt and pepper to taste, cook for another moment or so and remove from heat.
- Lightly oil or non-stick spray a 25x30 cm casserole dish. Arrange half the eggplant (and zucchini) slices in a layer over the bottom of the casserole dish, cover this with the mushroom mixture and finish with the remaining eggplant/zucchini slices.
- Mix the sour cream or yoghurt with the egg and salt together in a small bowl. Pour and spread this over the layered mixture, then sprinkle the top with the grated cheese.
- Bake at 200 C for 20 mins or until the top is bubbly and turning brown. Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Serving suggestion : salad and crusty bread.