Recipe by jenny butt
A traditional Christmas - New Year's drink in the Caribbean--very refreshing and very popular.
- 3 cups sorrel, heaped, without seeds
- 3 pints water, boiling
- 3 pieces rice (3 grains of rice)
- 1 oranges, zest of or 1 piece orange peel
- 6 cloves
- 1 lb sugar (or sugar substitute)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash sorrel, cut away seeds.
- Place in jar with orange peel & cloves.
- Pour on boiling water.
- Allow to remain for 24 hours.
- Strain & sweeten with sugar.
- Pour into bottles, adding few grains of rice (this helps fermentation).
- Allow to remain for at least another day.
- Serve with ice.