Recipe by DoveChocolatierinKY
from Creative Cook's Kitchen recipe book. This does not taste like watermelon, unless you use a watermelon sorbet or ice cream. This can be changed up very easily by using different flavors and different containers in which to shape it.
- 1 pint pistachio ice cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 pint strawberry sorbet
- 1 (3 ounce) packagewhite decorator icing (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- MAKING THE MOLD:.
- Wrap the inside of the mixing bowl with a thick layer of aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- Spread with a thick layer of pistachio ice cream, covering the entire inside of the bowl.
- Pack the ice cream tightly against the bowl. Place the bowl in the freezer while you prepare the sorbet mixture.
- In a large bowl, gently combine the chocolate chips with the strawberry sorbet.
- Spread strawberry mixture evenly over pistachio ice cream; smooth top.
- Cover bowl with foil and freezse until hard, several hours or overnight.
- To unmold the cake, gently invert the bowl onto a plate; lift bowl. Gently remove plastic wrap. Smooth the surface of the ice cream with a flat metal spatula that has been dipped in water.
- If desired, pipe white icing over pistachio ice cream to decorate rind.
- Before serving, wipe rim of plate with a clean, damp cloth or paper towel to remove any melted ice cream or sorbet.
- To cut the watermelon cake, first make 5 vertical slices, starting at the center of the cake. Then make a horizontal slice to make 12 servings. Use a sharp knife dipped in warm water for clean cuts.
- TO soften sorbet, place it in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH until softened, about 30 seconds.
- Sticky packaging is a sign that sherbet has probably thawed, leaked and then refrozen. For a fresher taste, choose another container of sorbet instead.
- Prepare the watermelon cake up to 1 week in advance. Tightly wrap with plastic wrap and freeze. When ready to serve, let the cake stand at room temp for about 10 minutes to make slicing easier.
- For a delicious and elegant presentation, serve each slice in a pool of fresh fruit sauce, such as strawberry or raspberry, and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
- For a summertime party, create watermelon cupcakes. Use ramekins or a muffin pan instead of a bowl to reate the smaller version.
- Nature makes watermelon in different shapes and colors, and so can you! Use an oval bowl and substitute orange sherbet for strawberry sorbet.