24 hrs 20 mins
from Creative Cook's Kitchen recipe book. This does not taste like watermelon, unless you use a watermelon sorbet or ice cream. This can be changed up very easily by using different flavors and different containers in which to shape it.
My Private Note
ice cre ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pint pistachio ice cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 pint strawberry sorbet
- 1 (3 ounce) package white decorator icing (optional)
- 1MAKING THE MOLD:.
- 2Wrap the inside of the mixing bowl with a thick layer of aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- 3Spread with a thick layer of pistachio ice cream, covering the entire inside of the bowl.
- 4Pack the ice cream tightly against the bowl. Place the bowl in the freezer while you prepare the sorbet mixture.
- 5In a large bowl, gently combine the chocolate chips with the strawberry sorbet.
- 6Spread strawberry mixture evenly over pistachio ice cream; smooth top.
- 7Cover bowl with foil and freezse until hard, several hours or overnight.
- 9To unmold the cake, gently invert the bowl onto a plate; lift bowl. Gently remove plastic wrap. Smooth the surface of the ice cream with a flat metal spatula that has been dipped in water.
- 10If desired, pipe white icing over pistachio ice cream to decorate rind.
- 11Before serving, wipe rim of plate with a clean, damp cloth or paper towel to remove any melted ice cream or sorbet.
- 12To cut the watermelon cake, first make 5 vertical slices, starting at the center of the cake. Then make a horizontal slice to make 12 servings. Use a sharp knife dipped in warm water for clean cuts.
- 14TO soften sorbet, place it in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH until softened, about 30 seconds.
- 15Sticky packaging is a sign that sherbet has probably thawed, leaked and then refrozen. For a fresher taste, choose another container of sorbet instead.
- 16Prepare the watermelon cake up to 1 week in advance. Tightly wrap with plastic wrap and freeze. When ready to serve, let the cake stand at room temp for about 10 minutes to make slicing easier.
- 17For a delicious and elegant presentation, serve each slice in a pool of fresh fruit sauce, such as strawberry or raspberry, and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
- 19For a summertime party, create watermelon cupcakes. Use ramekins or a muffin pan instead of a bowl to reate the smaller version.
- 20Nature makes watermelon in different shapes and colors, and so can you! Use an oval bowl and substitute orange sherbet for strawberry sorbet.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sorbet Watermelon Cake
Serving Size: 1 (14 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 67.0
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pistachio ice cream