Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs 40 mins
A refreshing light dessert, serve with light cookies. Originally from "French Cooking - Eileen Reece".
- 1 lb strawberry
- 1 lb raspberries
- 7 ounces sugar
- 1⁄2 pint water (only if using fresh fruit, I use frozen berries, they don't need extra water, just don't drain them)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Hull the fruit, save a dozen whole berries for garnish.
- Liquidize or mash them and pass them through a fine sieve to remove pips.
- Beat in the sugar until dissolved, add water (if using) and strained lemon juice and pour into a freezing container.
- Freeze for 40 minutes.
- Remove and beat with a "silver" or "wooden" spoon and freeze again for 4 hours.
- Serve in tall glasses.
- Garnish with whole berries.
I made mine with fresh berries from home, and used juice of two lemons (i.e. 6 tbsp "ReaLemon"). This recipe is all flavor! (Though it will depend on the quality of your berries!). The amount of sugar was nice, it was just enough to cut down on tartness but wasn't overly sweet. I froze some of my mixture in popsicle containers.
I really wanted something sweet with out blowing my low fat diet. I reduced the sugar and I didn't have any lemon on hand but made it anyway. It came out like Hagen Daaz! Simply Beautiful!!!
I made up a recipe several years ago that was very similar to this. It is one of my favorite, most refreshing desserts. I use frozen fruits (so I didn't need to put in freezer) and I used Splenda. I didn't think of adding the lemon juice. Can't wait to try it with Lime juice (as I have a lime tree and not a lemon tree ) I will try this with fresh berries (as written but will use Splenda. Thanks for posting.