Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe in the local paper. I believe it was from former White House Chef Rene Verdon. I made it last year for a New Year's Eve Dinner and it was wonderful. I topped with raspberries to make it extra special.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups champagne or 2 cups sparkling wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- In a saucepan, mix sugar and water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often until sugar is dissolved.
- Boil for about 1 minute until syrup is clear.
- Let cool In a mixing bowl, combine champagne, syrup and lemon juice.
- In a seperate bowl, beat egg white until stiff, then gently whisk into champagne mixture.
- Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Alternatively, pour into shallow pan, cover and freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
- Break into chunks, and puree in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Spoon into airtight container and freeze for 20 minutes.
- May make ahead of time and soften in refrigerator 10 minutes before serving.
- May substitute sparkling cider for a nonalcoholic version.
I made this as a palate cleansing course for a 8 course dinner. It is very good. I added an extra 1/2 tsp. of lemon juice. I did not need to take it out of the freezer 10 minutes before service as the recipe suggests as the consistency was just perfect straight out of the freezer. Don't use cheap champagne for this as the taste of the champagne is the key ingrediant. Thanks for posting this Lorianne!