Recipe by Bergy
This is a truly elegant dessert. If you can get oranges with a couple of leaves attached it is even more impressive. The recipe takes a little time but it is all in advance as you serve from the freezer to the table. I like to put in a couple of tbsp of Orange Liquer just before the last freezing or in the bottom of each orange either way it is a delicious and in many areas a very economical dessert.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is truly elegant and the mixture of the prepared syrup that goes into the oranges, is extremely addictive. Nothing can be more divine to one's taste buds than this dessert on a hot sunny afternoon. I loved the idea of the orange liquer as well as serving it in oranges - looked really cute and elegant. The only thing I omitted was the orange zest as we don't like the zest of anything in our food(just a personal preference). A definite keeper, it was a huge hit amongst our friends' this afternoon for our Diwali get-together. Thanks so much for sharing this. Will repeat this tasty, economical, elegant and "To die for" recipe often. Last but not the least, I loved the name of this recipe:) Thanks, again!
- 4 cups fresh orange juice
- 2 3⁄4 cups sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 6 medium thick skinned oranges, caps cut off and set aside,flesh scooped out,set the oranges aside and use the flesh for another rec
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan combine the orange juice, sugar, water, lemon juice& orange rind.
- Heat the mixture stirring until the sugar is dissolved and boil the syrup for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the syrup into a bowl and chill for 2 hours.
- Pour syrup into refrigerator trays and freeze until it is mushy and set around the edges.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and beat for 1 minute.
- Return mixture to trays and freeze it stirring it at 1 hour intervals.
- When frozen fill the orange shells with the frozen sherbet and mound above the edge of the orange in a dome.
- Scoop the flesh ot of the caps.
- Place caps on the orange allowing some sherbet to show.
- Refreeze until ready to serve.