1/4 Photos of Soprano's Sunday Gravy (Spaghetti Sauce)
2 hrs 15 mins
Lightly Toasted's Note:
Badda-bing badda-boom. Its a thing of beauty. This recipe is not a fast one, its an all afternoon dinner; But it is definitely worth it. From The Soprano Family Cookbook
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb meaty pork neck bones or 1 lb pork spareribs
- 1 lb veal stew meat or 2 veal shoulder chops
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 (28 ounce) cans peeled Italian tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 6 leaves fresh basil, torn into small pieces
For the Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef (or combination of beef or pork)
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1/2 cup freshly grated romano cheese or 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1To make the sauce, heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat.
- 2Pat the pork dry and put the pieces in the pot.
- 3Cook turning occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until nicely browned on all sides.
- 4Transfer pork to a plate.
- 5Brown the veal in the same way and add it to the plate.
- 6Place the sausages in the pot and brown on all sides.
- 7Set the sausages aside with the pork.
- 8Drain off most of the fat from the pot.
- 9Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes or until golden.
- 10Remove and discard the garlic.
- 11Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- 12With a food mill (I use a Braun hand blender) puree the tomatoes, with their juice into the pot.
- 13Or for a chunkier sauce, just chop up the tomatoes and add them.
- 14Add the water; and salt and pepper to taste.
- 15Add the pork, veal, sausages, and basil and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- 16Partially cover the pot and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours.
- 17If the sauce becomes too thick, add a little more water.
- 18Meanwhile, make the meatballs: Combine all the ingredients except the oil in a large bowl.
- 19Mix together thoroughly.
- 20Rinse your hands with cool water and lightly shape the mixture into 2 inch balls.
- 21Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet.
- 22Add the meatballs and brown them well on all sides.
- 23They will finish cooking in the sauce.
- 24Transfer the meatballs to a plate.
- 25After the sauce has cooked for its two hours, add the meatballs and cook for 30 minutes or until the sauce is thick and the meats are very tender.
- 26To serve, remove the meats from the sauce and set aside.
- 27Toss the cooked pasta with the sauce.
- 28Sprinkle with cheese.
- 29Serve the meats as a second course, or reserve them for another day.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Soprano's Sunday Gravy (Spaghetti Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (5022 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 798.5
- Calories from Fat 351
- Total Fat 39.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 169.4 mg
- Sodium 1276.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 47.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pork neck bones