Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another wonderful recipe from the Soprano Family Cookbook. Posted by request
- 2 medium eggplants (about 1 pound)
- olive oil, for pan frying
- 2 1⁄2 cups marinara sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Trim the eggplants and cut them into 1/2 thick slices.
- Layer the slices in one or more colanders, sprinkling each layer with salt.
- Let drain for 30 minutes (this pulls the water out so you don't have a soggy dinner).
- Rinse the eggplant and pat dry.
- Put about 1/2 inch of oil into one or more large deep skillets over medium heat.
- Fry the slices in batches, in a single layer, turning once until browned on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce in one or more shallow baking dishes.
- Make a layer of eggplant slices, overlapping them slightly.
- Top with a layer of mozzarella, another layer of sauce, and a sprinkle of grated cheese.
- Repeat the layering, ending with eggplant, sauce and grated cheese.
- (The eggplant can be made ahead to this point and covered with plastic wrap. Can be refrigerated for several hours or overnight. Remove it from the frige about 30 minutes before baking).
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and the mozzarella is melted.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
This was good but I think it would be rather bland with plain marinara sauce - I used my own homemade tomato sauce which is fairly spicey! I halved the recipe with no problems & served with caesar salad & garlic bread. Thanx Elissaz!