1/1 Photo of Sophisticated Mushroom Barley Soup Slow Cooker
8 hrs 30 mins
Again a soup recipe, I just love soup. This is from my fav. slow cooker cook book, "150 best slow cooker recipes", by Judith Finlayson. To make it vegetarian use 7 cups vegetable stock and omit the extra cup water.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (1/2 ounce) package dried wild mushrooms, such as porcini
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 lbs button mushrooms, sliced
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup soya sauce
- finely chopped green onions or parsley (optional)
- 1In a heatproof bowl, combine boiling water and dried mushrooms.
- 2Let stand for 30 minutes, then strain through a fine sieve, reserving liquid.
- 3Chop mushrooms finely and set aside.
- 4In a skillet, over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoons butter.
- 5Add onions and cook until soft.
- 6Add garlic, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- 7Transfer mixture to slow cooker stoneware.
- 8In same pan, melt remaining butter and cook button mushrooms over medium-high heat until they begin to lose their liquid.
- 9Add dried mushrooms, toss to combine and cook for 1 minute.
- 10Transfer mixture to slow cooker stoneware.
- 11Add barley, reserved mushroom soaking liquid, stock, water, bay leaf and soya sauce.
- 12Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- 13Discard bay leaf.
- 14Ladle into individual bowls and garnish with chopped green onions ro parsley, if using.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sophisticated Mushroom Barley Soup Slow Cooker
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 195.8
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 1879.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 10.6 g