Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is from our local newspaper.
- 1 lb stewing beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, cut into thick slices
- 2 carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large sprigs rosemary
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 4 -5 medium red potatoes, cut into large cubes
- 3 -4 cups mixed vegetables (turnips, rutabagas, cabbage, corn, peas, green beans, whatever is in your freezer. You can also use )
- Brown the meat in the oil in a dutch oven. Add everything else.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook until everything is cooked through.
- Alternatively, this can be cooked in a crockpot after the meat has been browned. Add a little water to the pan and deglaze if using this method. (When I cooked my stew, I used this method. I did not add the beef broth, however. I just added 3 tsp of instant beef broth seasoning.) Cook about 6 to 7 hrs on low.
- Serve with hot biscuits or cornbread.