From America's Test Kitchen Best Lost Recipes 2007
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tart cherries, drained reserve juice
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9 inch cake pan.
- 2Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- 3Whisk eggs and vanilla in a small bowl.
- 4With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until fluffy, 2 minutes.
- 5Reduce mixer speed, and add egg and flour mixture alternately in two batches, beating on low speed until combined.
- 6Fold in cherries with rubber spatula.
- 7Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake 30-35 minutes. Cool completely.
- 8For the topping:.
- 9Combine reserved cherry juice, cornstarch, sugar, and almond extract in a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to bubble, about 4 minutes.
- 10Let cool completely, 30 minutes.
- 11Spread over cooled cake and arrange pecans decoratively on top.
- 12May be stored at room temp for 2 days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sophie's Cherry Cake
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 349.4
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 61.7 mg
- Sodium 163.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 41.8 g
- Protein 4.2 g