Recipe by cervantesbrandi
Sopes are very traditional in mexican households. The toppings range from just beans and cheese, to eggs, shredded chicken or beef, picadillo, or even just guacamole. To form the sopes you will need either a tortilla press orflat plate or the bottom of a skillet. Also, you will need plastic wrap or a small ziploc bag cut into two pieces and the zipper cut off.
Top Review by alma.sove
Oh man, did this recipe hit the spot. Definitely want to follow the directions and fry for 3 minutes per side. At first I thought it seemed too long, but the sope holds up perfectly with the full time. The flavor can't be beat for fresh Mexican food. Will definitely make this again. Thanks Tiny Toodles!
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour masa and salt into a bowl, add in enough water to moisten masa. Masa should be slightly sticky to the touch.
- Form masa into balls the size of a large egg. Once all are formed into balls cover with a damp towel.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap on the tortilla press or your kitchen counter. Place the ball of masa in then center. Cover with the other piece of plastic. Press down on the tortilla press or using a flat bottomed plate or skillet until the tortilla is formed and about 1/4 inch thick.
- Heat a griddle or comal on medium high, cook each sope for 1 minute. Flip and cook for another 30 seconds, once you take the sope off the comal, place it on a dry towel and on the side you cooked first, pinch from the inside of the sope to the edge to form a rim all around the sope, this will look like a tostada with a 1/2 edge around.
- Once all sopes are cooked and formed cover them with a dry towel. Heat oil in a pan or deep fryer to 350 degrees. Fry each sope on both sides for 3 minutes. Place them on paper towels to blot off some of the extra oil.
- Serve topped with beans or meat of your choice, and then top with your choice of cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, crumbly cheese such as cotija or crema.
- Note: See Recipe #378725 for a good recipe for shredded chicken as pictured above.