Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
Another good fry bread recipe. My son brought this one home from a cooking class at school.
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 package active dry yeast
- Bring milk just to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in medium bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal; make well in center.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of the cooled milk.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the center of dry ingredients.
- Add additional milk if necessary so the dough just holds together.
- Gather dough together and knead 15 times.
- Cover with a cloth and let stand about 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep-fat fryer to 375 degrees.
- On a floured surface, roll out half the dough to a 1/4-inch sheet.
- Cut into 9 triangles and cover with a towel to keep moist.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Add a few to oil at a time.
- Fry on both sides 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain on paper toweling.
Omg! Best sopapilla recipe ever! Thank you so much! :)
This is a fabulous recipe! Reminds me of the one my mom made when I was little. I love the yeast recipe so much more. I added two TBS of sugar to the yeast mixture to help it rise and because I like a sweeter bread. I will most certainly make this again.
Thank you and youy Son!Pat R.