Sopapillas (Fried Biscuit Puffs)
Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
- Stir together the first three ingredients.
- Rub the shortening into the flour until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Gradually add the water.
- Stir with a fork until it becomes a crumbly dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface.
- Knead into a smooth ball, divide the dough in half.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Divide into two.
- Roll each half into a rectangle.
- Using a medium pastry cutter, cut into runds.
- Do NOT re-roll or patch dough.
- Fry a few at a time in deep hot fat 200 C, 400 F, Gas mark 6 till golden.
- Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with honey or roll in icing sugar and cinnamon.