Karen From Colorado's Note:
A sweet hollow bread you can drizzle with honey or roll in sugar and cinnamon. Serve with your favorite mexican meal. Prep time is also rest time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 2Cut in shortening until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- 3Gradually add water, stirring with a fork (dough will be crumbly).
- 4Turn onto a floured surface and kneed into a smooth ball.
- 5Divide dough in half; let stand 10 minutes.
- 6Roll each half into a thin 12 x 10 rectangle.
- 7Cut dough into 2 1/2 inch squares (do not reroll or patch dough).
- 8Fry a few at a time in deep hot fat (pushing the dough down into the oil immediately with a spatula and bumping the edges on the side of your frier to help them puff up) until golden brown.
- 9Drain on paper towels.
- 10Serve with honey or roll in sugar-cinnamon mixture.
Nutritional Facts for Sopaipillas
Serving Size: 1 (501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 25.7
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 56.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.6 g