1/3 Photos of Sopa Verde
2 hrs 30 mins
This is a delicious kale and chicken soup with plenty of garlic, white wine and that light, distinctive Portuguese flavor of cloves. In Portugal, "caldo" is generally a lighter soup, and "sopa" is a soup with more vegetables and meat, and is often thickened slightly by using potato cooking water, as this one is.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups water
- 3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 small onion
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 lb red potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 lb kale, trimmed of center stalk, and shredded
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (vinho seco)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1In a large soup pot, bring to a boil the 8 cups of water, the chicken breast, onion, and cloves; skim off any foam.
- 2After 10 minutes, add the potatoes and simmer for another 25 minutes.
- 3Reserve the broth.
- 4Discard the onion and cloves.
- 5Transfer the potatoes and chicken to a plate to cool; when cool enough to handle, cube the potatoes and shred the chicken.
- 6In a small saucepan, saute the 1 cup chopped onion and the garlic in the olive oil until tender but not browned.
- 7Transfer this into the reserved chicken broth, along with the kale, white wine, coriander, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- 8Add the chicken (still reserving the potatoes) and salt and bring to a boil.
- 9Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 1-1/2 hours.
- 10Add reserved potatoes and simmer another 1/2 hour, uncovered.
- 11Correct seasoning if you wish, and just before serving, stir in the fresh lemon juice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa Verde
Serving Size: 1 (418 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 153.4
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 24.6 mg
- Sodium 268.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: