Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
You may be able to find the coiled vermicelli or uncoiled in your Mexican grocery section. I found the uncoiled, 8 ounce for $.25. They also had little stars and alphabets at the same price.
- 8 ounces coiled vermicelli
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces diced canned chilies
- 8 ounces tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dry oregano leaves, crumbled
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 -3 cups chicken stock or 2 -3 cups broth
- 1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese
- Place noodles in a plastic bag, arranging in one layer. With a rolling pin, break into small pieces, set aside.
- Heat butter and oil in a large pot or frying pan (with a lid). When butter is melted, add onion, garlic and chiles and cook, stirring until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add noodles and stir well continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 2 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, peas and 2 cups of broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes).
- Check occasionally to see if you need to add more broth. (Think risotto.).
- When the fideo is tender and the liquid is absorbed, add in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- Portion into bowls and top with grated cheese, if desired.
The only thing I did different was add carrots and some salt. It was okay, but it just seemed like it was missing something.