Recipe by cookiedog
My BF said this was the best rice he had ever eaten. I adapted this recipe from a Sunset Mexican Cookbook. This recipe can easily be cut in half.
Top Review by kennilyn
Not only did I find the best "unfried refried bean" recipe from you Cookiedog--I found the best Mexican rice recipe as well! I got rave reviews on this one from everyone who's tried it. The olives really seemed to add to it. I didn't have any chilies, but will definitely use them next time because they should only make this recipe better--if that is possible! Thank-you.
- 473.18 ml long grain rice
- 88.74 ml butter or 88.74 ml margarine
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 946.36 ml regular-strength chicken broth
- 2-3 california chilies (optional) or 2-3 pasilla chiles, medium sized, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 236.59 ml pimento stuffed olive
Directions See How It's Made
- In a wide frying pan over medium-high heat, brown rice lightly in butter or margarine.
- Add onion, garlic, tomato, and chiles, if used and cook for 2 or 3 minutes; add 3 cups of the broth.
- Cover and simmer 25 to 35 minutes or bake, covered, in a 350F oven 50 to 60 minutes.
- Add more broth, if needed, to cook rice. However, there should be no liquid remaining when rice is tender to bite.
- Add cilantro, if desired, during last 10 minutes.
- Garnish rice with olives.