Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Spicy spanish noodle soup
- 1 -2 dried chipotle chile
- 12 ounces dry noodles (like spaghetti or angel-hair pasta)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 2 cups chicken or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs mint, chopped
- 2 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 6 tablespoons oil
- Place chipotle peppers in a bowl of very hot water abd reconstitute for half hour. When soft, remove from water, remove seeds if desired and roughly chop them. Discard soaking water.
- Break noodles into bite-size pieces. Add 5 Tbsp oil in a large skillet and place over medium-high heat. When hot, add noodles and sear noodles until noodles are browned nicely. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the rest of the oil and place on medium low heat. Add onion and begin to cook, slowly for 15 minutes until golden brown. Add the garlic, tomatoes, green pepper and chopped chipotle and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add broth and salt to taste and add the fried noodles. Cover and simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes or until the noodles are soft. Stir in cilantro and mint. Top with cheese.
- Cover and cook for a few minutes more. Serve hot.