2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This unusual recipe combines the best of Spain, from gazpacho to tapas. With the mix and matching of condiments and garnishes, this makes for a fun evening with friends and family.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato puree
- 4 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 large linguica sausage or 2 large chorizo sausage or 2 large kielbasa, sliced 1/4 inch thick and browned
- 1/4-1/2 lb baby shrimp, cooked and shelled
- 3/4 lb boneless ham, cooked, cubed, and sauteed until lightly browned
- 1 cup red peppers or 1 cup green pepper, diced and sauteed
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 cup fresh tomato, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced and sauteed in butter
- 1/2 lb fresh carrot, sliced and cooked until tender, drained
- 1Melt butter in a dutch oven over medium low heat. Add olive oil and onions.
- 2Slowly cook the onions, stirring occasionally until they are limp and slightly golden, about 45 minutes.
- 3Sprinkle flour over the onions and blend. Gradually stir in the tomato puree, beef broth, garlic, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, oregano, tarragon, Tabasco sauce, and cumin.
- 4Stir until well blended.
- 5Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve.
- 6Allow guest to choose from several of the meat and vegetable condiments and the garnishes as well.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa Espanola (Spanish Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (657 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.4
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 223.3 mg
- Sodium 2924.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 18.5 g
- Protein 33.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: