Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This unusual recipe combines the best of Spain, from gazpacho to tapas. With the mix and matching of condiments and garnishes, this makes for a fun evening with friends and family.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato puree
- 4 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 large linguica sausage or 2 large chorizo sausage or 2 large kielbasa, sliced 1/4 inch thick and browned
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb baby shrimp, cooked and shelled
- 3⁄4 lb boneless ham, cooked, cubed, and sauteed until lightly browned
- 1 cup red peppers or 1 cup green pepper, diced and sauteed
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 cup fresh tomato, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced and sauteed in butter
- 1⁄2 lb fresh carrot, sliced and cooked until tender, drained
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1 (8 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Melt butter in a dutch oven over medium low heat. Add olive oil and onions.
- Slowly cook the onions, stirring occasionally until they are limp and slightly golden, about 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the onions and blend. Gradually stir in the tomato puree, beef broth, garlic, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, oregano, tarragon, Tabasco sauce, and cumin.
- Stir until well blended.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve.
- Allow guest to choose from several of the meat and vegetable condiments and the garnishes as well.