Recipe by Member #610488
Typical Portuguese dessert recipe from the restaurant A Tipoia in Lisbon, Portugal taken from a clipping in my grandmothers recipe box. According to the clipping, the restaurant is a Fados restaurant.
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the water and sugar together until the mixture coats teh spoon when it is dipped in (3-5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Beat the egg yolks together and add them very gradually to the syrup, beating constantly so that they are well-incorporated.
- Return to heat and stir constantly until thickened (10-15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, remove crusts from bread and cut into 1-inch square cubes. Fry these in the butter to a golden brown.
- When first mixture is thick, stir the bread cubes into it.
- Cool and chill.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon when ready to serve.