Pesto lover's Note:
This is an Ecuadorean soup with a good flavor. The ingredients are very typical to Ecuador. I sometimes use half beef stock and half chicken stock, for a lighter flavor. Achiote oil is optional. You can use Achiote Oil. This could be made vegetarian by using a good vegetable stock and omitting the butter. Recipe from Cocinemos Con Kristy, Tomo 2.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut in half
- 1 small plantain, peeled and grated
- 1 small carrots, cut into bite-size chunks or 1 small potato, peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 cabbage leaves, cut up
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon achiote oil (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1Bring stock to a boil.
- 2Add turnip and add garlic powder, curry powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes.
- 3Add carrot. Cook for 10 minutes.
- 4Add potato, cabbage, parsley and plantain, which has been grated on the large holes of your grater.
- 5Remove the turnip and mash it very well. You can use the blender for this.
- 6Return the smooth turnip puree to the soup. Add butter and achiote oil, if using.
- 7Serve the soup when the potatoes are cooked through.
Browse Our Top Ecuadorean Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ecuadorean Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa De Verde Rallado - Vegetable Soup With Plantain
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 66.1
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 809.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 3.3 g