Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This sounds really yummy for a Mexican-themed dinner and was posted in response to a request.
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- ground white pepper
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts, poached and shredded
- 3 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 8 -10 slices avocados
- fresh cilantro stem
- In large pot, combine chicken broth, onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper, potato, tomato paste, bay leaf, garlic and oregano.
- Season to taste and bring to boil.
- Simmer 25 minutes.
- Add zucchini, tomatoes and shredded chicken breast pieces.
- Bring to boil, then simmer 10 minutes before removing from heat.
- Cut tortillas into matchstick size strips.
- Sauté in hot oil until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- To serve, place tortilla strips in individual bowls.
- Cover with shredded cheese and ladle in soup.
- Top with slice of avocado and cilantro sprig.
It was wonderful but I changed a couple of things: 1- I put 5 cups of chicken broth 2- added 2 cups of water 3- instead of the tomato paste and tomatoes I put 1 can (28on)tomato diced herbs & spices 4- instead of th dried mexican oregano I put 1 packet taco seasoning. I also sliced the tortillas into thin stripes and placed on baking sheet at 250 degrees untill crispy about 30-40 minutes (instead of using oil). I made a mexican meal for Easter for my family and this soup was a big hit. Thank you