2 hrs 20 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is from the kitchens of the winery, Quinta do Mouro, in Estremoz, Alentejo, Portugal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 lb cured portuguese chourico sausage or 1/4 lb linguica sausage, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes, seeded and crushed by hand
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 eggs
- 6 thick slices Portuguese bread (Pao) or 6 thick slices rustic country bread, lightly toasted
- 1Heat bacon in a 6 qt saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a bowl and set aside.
- 2Add sausage to pan. Cook until browned (4-5 minutes), then using a slotted spoon, transfer to bowl with bacon.
- 3Drain and discard all but 3 tbsp fat from pan and add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly caramelized (10–12 minutes). Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- 4Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, until soup is slightly thickened, about 1 hour. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. (May be cooled completely, refrigerated and made later at this point).
- 5Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a very large high-sided skillet and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 6Working with 1 egg at a time, crack eggs into a small bowl and carefully slide into soup. Using a spoon, baste eggs with soup, until whites are firm and yolks are just set, about 5 minutes.
- 7Divide bread slices between serving bowls and using a slotted spoon, place eggs over bread; ladle soup over the top. Garnish with reserved bacon and sausage.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa De Tomate (Portuguese Tomato Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (426 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 374.9
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 222.6 mg
- Sodium 942.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 15.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: