Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a creamy tomato soup with a bit of heat. Although it is wonderful just as it is, it would also be good with some cooked shrimp. From Carry-Out Cuisine.
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 19.71 ml unsalted butter
- 2 (1587.57 g) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 85.04 g hot salsa
- 453.59 g light cream cheese
- 709.77 ml chicken broth or 709.77 ml beef broth
- 473.18 ml light cream
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4.92 ml Tabasco sauce
- 19.71 ml fresh cilantro
- lemon slice (to garnish)
- cilantro leaf (to garnish)
- Saute the onion in the butter.
- Add the tomatoes and salsa. Simmer until the liquid is almost gone.
- Add the cream cheese slowly in small amounts so that it melts into the tomato-salsa mixture. When all the cheese is melted, add the remaining ingredients except the garnish.
- Serve hot. Top each bowl with a paper-thin lemon slice and a cilantro leaf.
This was delicious! I halved the recipe, I used a little squirt of sriracha hot sauce instead of tobasco, I used half and half instead of cream and I pureed a fresh tomato and added it in with the canned tomatoes. The only thing I did wrong was I used too much lemon juice, my lemon was small so I thought I could use all the juice from it but it made the soup a bit too tangy. I'll definitely make this again this Winter!
This was a really quick to make, cheap, easy soup for an excellent weeknight meal. I also cut the recipe in half for Dave and myself. Used a whole jar of Smokey Bacon BBQ salsa which gave the soup a lovely smokey flavour. Will be making again for sure.
Very nice! This was a delicious, creamy soup with lots of flavor. I cut the recipe in half (two of us eating) but still ended up with a lot of soup. The only change I made was adding a little more salsa for a spicier taste. Definitely a keeper, thank you!