Recipe by cookiedog
This is a creamy tomato soup with a bit of heat. Although it is wonderful just as it is, it would also be good with some cooked shrimp. From Carry-Out Cuisine.
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 19.71 ml unsalted butter
- 2 (1587.57 g) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 85.04 g hot salsa
- 453.59 g light cream cheese
- 709.77 ml chicken broth or 709.77 ml beef broth
- 473.18 ml light cream
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4.92 ml Tabasco sauce
- 19.71 ml fresh cilantro
- lemon slice (to garnish)
- cilantro leaf (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onion in the butter.
- Add the tomatoes and salsa. Simmer until the liquid is almost gone.
- Add the cream cheese slowly in small amounts so that it melts into the tomato-salsa mixture. When all the cheese is melted, add the remaining ingredients except the garnish.
- Serve hot. Top each bowl with a paper-thin lemon slice and a cilantro leaf.