This is a creamy tomato soup with a bit of heat. Although it is wonderful just as it is, it would also be good with some cooked shrimp. From Carry-Out Cuisine.
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes
- 3 ounces hot salsa
- 1 lb light cream cheese
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups light cream
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 4 teaspoons fresh cilantro
- lemon slice (to garnish)
- cilantro leaf (to garnish)
- Saute the onion in the butter.
- Add the tomatoes and salsa. Simmer until the liquid is almost gone.
- Add the cream cheese slowly in small amounts so that it melts into the tomato-salsa mixture. When all the cheese is melted, add the remaining ingredients except the garnish.
- Serve hot. Top each bowl with a paper-thin lemon slice and a cilantro leaf.