Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs 30 mins
In 'The Mexican Slow Cooker' by Deborah Schneider
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1⁄2 white onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 lb red potatoes or 1 lb white rose potato
- 6 cups beef broth or 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 poblano chiles, roasted, seeded, and diced
- 10 ounces muenster cheese, grated (or Chihuahua cheese)
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook slowly, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato and cook, stirring frequently, until the pan is almost dry, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a 5-quart slow cooker.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into neat 1/2-inch cubes.
- You should have about 4 cups.
- Add to the slow cooker along with the broth and salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add the poblanos and cheese and stir slowly until the cheese melts into the soup.
- Continue cooking on low for 30 minutes more.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle each serving with a little chopped cilantro.