Recipe by Zenster
This Mexican soup recipe cheerfully stolen from: Mario's La Fiesta Mexican restaurant in Berkeley, CA.
Top Review by dirtgirl150
This was not the traditional Mexican Sopa de polla I make, however: I was looking for another variation for a change, and discovered this recipe! It was excellent, and a nice diversion from my old favorite! Try it!!! Easy and delicious!
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 large russet potato
- 2 carrots
- 1 large tomatoes
- 2 stalk celery (with leaves)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 14.79 ml salt (or more)
- 1 white onion (do not use red onion)
- 118.29 ml rice, washed
- 0 head cannonball cabbage
- 28.39 ml chopped cilantro
- 0.59 ml ground cumin
- 0.59 ml white pepper
- 0.25 ml Crystal hot sauce
- 946.0-1892.0 ml water or 946.0-1892.0 ml chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Extract giblets from chicken and remove the liver.
- Place chicken in a pot of water just large enough to hold it.
- Cover with 1-2 quarts of water and add the giblets.
- Add salt and bring to a boil, skimming off any foam.
- Reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer for 20 or more minutes.
- Chicken should fall apart after cooking.
- Completely bone out the cooked chicken.
- Separate white meat for use in the finished soup.
- Crack the bones and return them to the stock with the skin.
- Add all other non-meat parts of the chicken back to the stock.
- Bring stock and giblets back to a fast simmer.
- Cook stock for 1/2-1 hour longer.
- Begin washing rice.
- Strain stock and remove most, but not all of the fat.
- Peel the potato, tomato and carrots.
- Bring stock to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cut carrots into coins, dice potato into 1/2" cubes and add with cabbage cut into 1" chunks.
- Chop onion coarsely and add along with pressed or finely minced garlic.
- Remove strings by breaking the top of the stalk backwards and pulling down to strip them out, slice celery into medium pieces and add.
- Peel and seed tomato, strain tomato juice from seeds and add with chopped cilantro leaves.
- Chop some of the celery heart's leaves and add with diced chicken white meat in 1/2" chunks.
- Finish washing rice and add to soup.
- During last half hour of cooking add all other spices.
- Adjust salt to taste (this recipe can take a lot of salt).
- Avoid adding too much cumin, it will spoil the flavor.
- DO NOT let the soup boil, it will turn to mush.
- DO NOT use the chicken liver in the soup.
- When the rice begins to "bloom" turn off the heat.
- Elbow macaroni, stars or alphabet pasta may be used.
- If using pasta, omit or reduce the amount of rice.
- If the stock is made right it will gel when chilled.
- Note: This recipe took years to figure out.
- DO NOT use chicken bullion cubes or paste when making this.
- They will cloud the soup and destroy its delicate bouquet.
- Tinned broth is acceptable but will not compare to using the stock described above.