This Mexican soup recipe cheerfully stolen from: Mario's La Fiesta Mexican restaurant in Berkeley, CA.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 large russet potato
- 2 carrots
- 1 large tomato
- 2 stalks celery (with leaves)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon salt (or more)
- 1/2 white onion (do not use red onion)
- 1/2 cup rice, washed
- 1/4 head cannonball cabbage
- 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 dash Crystal hot sauce
- 1 -2 quart water or 1 -2 quart chicken stock
- 1Extract giblets from chicken and remove the liver.
- 2Place chicken in a pot of water just large enough to hold it.
- 3Cover with 1-2 quarts of water and add the giblets.
- 4Add salt and bring to a boil, skimming off any foam.
- 5Reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer for 20 or more minutes.
- 6Chicken should fall apart after cooking.
- 7Completely bone out the cooked chicken.
- 8Separate white meat for use in the finished soup.
- 9Crack the bones and return them to the stock with the skin.
- 10Add all other non-meat parts of the chicken back to the stock.
- 11Bring stock and giblets back to a fast simmer.
- 12Cook stock for 1/2-1 hour longer.
- 13Begin washing rice.
- 14Strain stock and remove most, but not all of the fat.
- 15Peel the potato, tomato and carrots.
- 16Bring stock to a boil and reduce heat.
- 17Cut carrots into coins, dice potato into 1/2" cubes and add with cabbage cut into 1" chunks.
- 18Chop onion coarsely and add along with pressed or finely minced garlic.
- 19Remove strings by breaking the top of the stalk backwards and pulling down to strip them out, slice celery into medium pieces and add.
- 20Peel and seed tomato, strain tomato juice from seeds and add with chopped cilantro leaves.
- 21Chop some of the celery heart's leaves and add with diced chicken white meat in 1/2" chunks.
- 22Finish washing rice and add to soup.
- 23During last half hour of cooking add all other spices.
- 24Adjust salt to taste (this recipe can take a lot of salt).
- 25Avoid adding too much cumin, it will spoil the flavor.
- 26DO NOT let the soup boil, it will turn to mush.
- 27DO NOT use the chicken liver in the soup.
- 28When the rice begins to "bloom" turn off the heat.
- 29Elbow macaroni, stars or alphabet pasta may be used.
- 30If using pasta, omit or reduce the amount of rice.
- 31If the stock is made right it will gel when chilled.
- 32Note: This recipe took years to figure out.
- 33DO NOT use chicken bullion cubes or paste when making this.
- 34They will cloud the soup and destroy its delicate bouquet.
- 35Tinned broth is acceptable but will not compare to using the stock described above.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa De Pollo Con Arroz (Chicken and Rice Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (402 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 912.4
- Calories from Fat 480
- Total Fat 53.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 243.8 mg
- Sodium 2026.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 61.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: