Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a meal-in one soup that can be made with fresh or frozen corn.It's garnished with tortilla squares and is great with my recipe for Mexican corn bread.
- 3 1⁄2 cups fresh corn kernels (8 to 12 ears)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 tablespoon canned diced chile, rinsed and drained
- 1 cooked boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1 cup cubed monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced, for garnish
- 6 -8 corn tortillas
- oil, for frying tortilla
- Combine corn and chicken stock in blender or food processor and puree.
- In a 3 quart saucepan combine butter and corn mixture and simmer slowly 5 minutes, stirring to keep corn from sticking to bottom of pan.
- Add milk, garlic, oregano,salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add chilies and simmer 5 minutes.
- *May be frozen or refrigerated at this point.
- To serve:.
- If refrigerated, reheat soup slowly.
- Divide chicken and tomatoes among 6 bowls.
- Remove soup from heat, add cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- Ladle into bowls,top with tortilla squares, and serve.
- Tortilla Squares:.
- Preheat oil to 375 degrees in electric skillet, deep fryer or large pan.
- Stack tortillas on cutting board and slice into 1/2 inch squares.
- Drop a handful at a time into oil and stir with wooden spoon until crisp and golden, about 3 minutes.
- Drain well on paper towels.
- These are good with soups and salads and may be stored in a covered container in a dry place for up to 6 weeks.