Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is a meal-in one soup that can be made with fresh or frozen corn.It's garnished with tortilla squares and is great with my recipe for Mexican corn bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (8 to 12 ears)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 tablespoon canned diced chile, rinsed and drained
- 1 cooked boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1 cup cubed monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced, for garnish
- 6 -8 corn tortillas
- oil, for frying tortilla
- 1Combine corn and chicken stock in blender or food processor and puree.
- 2In a 3 quart saucepan combine butter and corn mixture and simmer slowly 5 minutes, stirring to keep corn from sticking to bottom of pan.
- 3Add milk, garlic, oregano,salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat, add chilies and simmer 5 minutes.
- 5*May be frozen or refrigerated at this point.
- 6To serve:.
- 7If refrigerated, reheat soup slowly.
- 8Divide chicken and tomatoes among 6 bowls.
- 9Remove soup from heat, add cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- 10Ladle into bowls,top with tortilla squares, and serve.
- 11Tortilla Squares:.
- 12Preheat oil to 375 degrees in electric skillet, deep fryer or large pan.
- 13Stack tortillas on cutting board and slice into 1/2 inch squares.
- 14Drop a handful at a time into oil and stir with wooden spoon until crisp and golden, about 3 minutes.
- 15Drain well on paper towels.
- 16These are good with soups and salads and may be stored in a covered container in a dry place for up to 6 weeks.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa De Maiz (Mexican Corn Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.4
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 61.8 mg
- Sodium 289.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 17.4 g