1 hr 20 mins
For your next Mexican-themed dinner or party.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups fresh corn kernels (if frozen, use 2 packages 10 ounces each thawed and rinsed) or 8 cups frozen corn kernels (if frozen, use 2 packages 10 ounces each thawed and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2-3 cups chicken stock or 2 1/2-3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1Combine the corn, onion, garlic, and 1 cup of the stock; process in batches in a food processor until smooth.
- 2In a big soup pot over med heat; melt the butter.
- 3Add in corn mixture, cumin, salt, and white pepper.
- 4Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- 5Add in buttermilk and 1 1/2 cups more stock; bring to a boil.
- 6Add in chiles, Tabasco, chicken, tomato, and cilantro.
- 7Lower heat to med-low; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- 8Add in remaining 1/2 cup stock if soup is too thick.
- 9Serve in individual bowls topped with a few broken tortilla pieces; pass around the additional toppings.
- 10Note: to crisp corn tortillas: preheat oven to 400°; brush or lightly spray both sides of tortillas with vegetable oil; stack 4 tortillas together; with a sharp knife, cut into 1/2-inch strips; place strips in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 3-4 minutes; sprinkle with salt or other seasonings; tortillas can also be fried in oil or grilled on a grill or griddle until crisp.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa De Maiz (Mexican Corn Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 332.1
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 42.4 mg
- Sodium 501.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 19.1 g