Recipe by AlaskaPam
This recipe is a specialty of the Yucatan, but it sounds perfect to me for a cold Alaska night! Found on the Mexconnect website. Posted for ZWT8 Mexico.
Top Review by Member #610488
Made this in the slow cooker with chicken legs. Fried them up first to a golden brown state and then added everything except the tortilla strips to the crockpot. The chicken came out falling off the bone tender and all I had to do was skim for the bones and then serve along with tortilla strips garnished on top. Very tasty and would make again. Made for ZWT 8.
For the broth
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 10 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 large garlic cloves, halved
- 1 onion, quartered
- 4 allspice, whole
For the soup
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 serrano chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roasted and pureed
- 6 limes, sliced
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into small strips and fried
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the broth by putting the chicken in a large pot and adding the water, oregano, garlic, onion and allspice. Bring to a boil, skim and simmer for 45 mins to an hour until the chicken is tender. Remove the chicken and strain the broth, reserving the broth. Take the chicken off the bones and shred the meat. Set aside.
- In a saucepan heat the oil and add the onion, roasted garlic puree, tomatoes and the chilis and saute until the onion is soft. Add the broth and half of the line slices.and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the rest of the lime slices and the chicken and serve along with the fried tortilla strips. Add the tortilla strips to each bowl of hot soup.