Recipe by Engrossed
This is a very tasty soup. I love the lime and garnishes!
Top Review by Busy Mom 28
I have made this 4 times. It is my new favorite soup! I use 4-5 large chicken breasts. I also add the cumin. The recipe is so easy, now that I have done it a few times I can do w/o looking at the recipe. My favorite part is the fresh toppings, it makes the soup. Great for big get togethers...double recipe and make a bar w/the toppings. YUMMY!!!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, poached and shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted peeled seeded and finely diced or 2 (4 ounce) cansdiced mild green chilies
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and finely diced or 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 avocado, peeled pitted and sliced
- 1 serrano chili pepper, finely diced
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips deep fried and drained on paper towels or 8 corn tortilla strips
- 1 lime, cut into wheels
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook and shred chicken. Set aside.
- Pour olive oil into a large pot and heat over medium high heat until hot. Add the onion and saute for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute or until onions are translucent.
- Add the poblano chiles, tomatoes, spices and chicken broth. Stir and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and lime juice and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Garnish each serving of soup with the avocado slices, diced serrano chile, tortilla strips, lime wheels, and cilantro. Also good with sour cream.