Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a wonderfully flavored chicken soup that is enhanced by the lime. Each serving receives a generous squeeze of lime juice--the juice of 1 whole key lime right before serving. The recipe comes from "Southwest Slow Cooking".
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
- fresh cilantro
- 4 key limes
- In a 4 quart crock pot, combine all ingredients except for the olive oil, corn tortilla strips, limes and avocado.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred with a fork, return shredded chicken to crock pot and stir to combine, continue to cook for about 1/2 hour.
- Heat oil in a medium-size skillet and sauté the tortilla strips until crisp, drain on paper towels.
- Divide the soup into individual serving bowls and garnish each with the juice of a whole lime.
- Top each serving with chopped avocado, cilantro and tortilla strips.
Very good and spicy stew. I was worried about the amount of liquid in the recipe so added a can of water (using the same can as the tomatoes (15 oz)) but shouldn't have worried. I think this will be really good over rice, skippig the tortilla strips. Thanks for sharing!