AKA Chilean Hearty Lentil Chowder with Chorizo.
Make and share this Sopa De Lentejas De La Tia Julita recipe from Food.com.
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 141.74 g chorizo sausages, peeled and sliced into 8 pieces
- 236.59 ml coarsely chopped onion
- 236.59 ml pumpkin, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced into 1-inch rings
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 354.88 ml lentils, pickled over and rinsed
- 1 small celery rib, with leaves
- 3 sprig parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2365.0-2838.0 ml water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 29.58 ml finely minced fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot. Add the chorizo, onion, and pumpkin; cook over high heat, stirring, for a few minutes. Add the leeks, garlic, and tomato, and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Tie the celery, parsley & bay leaves together w/kitchen string and add along with the lentils to the soup pot. Add enough water to cover the lentils by 2 inches, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer covered for about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper, add the potato cubes, and simmer until the vegetables are soft, 15 minutes. If necessary, add more water.
- Before serving, discard the herb bundle, and taste for seasoning. Serve the soup piping hot, garnished with the parsley.
A Hundred stars !! I have just eaten a bowl of this soup after walking the dogs for an hour in the cold, silent fog. Thank goodness I had made this earlier so it had time to sit and meld !! I doubled the potato as I had no pumpkin and also doubled the tomatoes as per another reviewers suggestion, also I stirred through home grown basil. Fab Fab Fab !!
This was pretty good (but check my reviews and recipes, we eat a lot of lentil soups so I'm fussy). I made this for our lunch and rather than the aromatics (celery, baby leaves parsley) and water, I used some of my home made chciken stock. I'm glad I did because I think the soup might have lacked enough flavour for us otherwise. I loved the fact it contained so many vegies,but if I made it again, I'd up the tomato (just a personal preferance). Thanks for posting.
Enjoyed the flavours, thanks for sharing.