AKA Chilean Hearty Lentil Chowder with Chorizo.
Make and share this Sopa De Lentejas De La Tia Julita recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 ounces chorizo sausages, peeled and sliced into 8 pieces
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup pumpkin, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced into 1-inch rings
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils, pickled over and rinsed
- 1 small celery rib, with leaves
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1⁄2-3 quarts water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot. Add the chorizo, onion, and pumpkin; cook over high heat, stirring, for a few minutes. Add the leeks, garlic, and tomato, and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Tie the celery, parsley & bay leaves together w/kitchen string and add along with the lentils to the soup pot. Add enough water to cover the lentils by 2 inches, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer covered for about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper, add the potato cubes, and simmer until the vegetables are soft, 15 minutes. If necessary, add more water.
- Before serving, discard the herb bundle, and taste for seasoning. Serve the soup piping hot, garnished with the parsley.