1/3 Photos of Sopa De Garbanzos - Chickpea Soup
When my mom and I were cleaning out one of her kitchen cabinets, we found a box of recipes that she had clipped from newspapers and magazines. This one came from an article in the Houston Post (no longer in circulation), October 1989. The article was about traditional Mexican soup dishes and contained several wonderful and authentic recipes. This filling soup can be made vegetarian by using vegetable stock and omitting the bacon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Chop the onions, garlic, and tomatoes.
- 2Put the chickpeas and 1/4 cup broth into a blender and puree until smooth. Add the puree to the remaining broth in a large soup pot and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- 3Fry the bacon in a large skillet; remove and set aside. Saute the garlic and onions in the same pan until soft. Add tomatoes and cook 3 more minutes. Drain off as much fat as possible.
- 4Add vegetables and bacon to the simmering soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Simmer until heated through. Serve very hot.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa De Garbanzos - Chickpea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 249.6
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 23.3 mg
- Sodium 566.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 9.5 g