Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
When my mom and I were cleaning out one of her kitchen cabinets, we found a box of recipes that she had clipped from newspapers and magazines. This one came from an article in the Houston Post (no longer in circulation), October 1989. The article was about traditional Mexican soup dishes and contained several wonderful and authentic recipes. This filling soup can be made vegetarian by using vegetable stock and omitting the bacon.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Chop the onions, garlic, and tomatoes.
- Put the chickpeas and 1/4 cup broth into a blender and puree until smooth. Add the puree to the remaining broth in a large soup pot and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet; remove and set aside. Saute the garlic and onions in the same pan until soft. Add tomatoes and cook 3 more minutes. Drain off as much fat as possible.
- Add vegetables and bacon to the simmering soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer until heated through. Serve very hot.
This was quite tasty as a basic soup, and I really enjoyed the addition of the bacon. But I think I will add a few herbs the next time I make this, perhaps cilantro as already suggested or perhaps a little oregano. Thank you for sharing your recipe, loof.
This is a nice, basic soup thats quick to make and satisfying as a light lunch. I enjoyed the combination of chickpeas with tomatoes, but would add some more spices next time Im making this. Since Im a vegetarian I used veggie stock and left out the bacon.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your recipe here with us, loof! Made and reviewed for Aussie Swap and the Chickpea Event in the Spain/Portugal Forum May 2011.
I used about 1/2 of the bacon, doubled the garlic, added 1/2 cup extra chickpeas and flavoured with salt, pepper and cilantro and still found that the soup was a bit thin and missing something. I don't think it was the bacon missing but more a depth to the flavour. Next time I might add a potato or something to help thicken the soup a bit more