1/1 Photo of Sopa De Garbanzos (Chick Pea Soup)
2 hrs 15 mins
My husband's favorite way to flavor beans is with pigs' feet. I kid you not. Actually, they flavor the beans very well. He eats the meat, I do not. We use them with kidney beans always. This recipe is translated from "Cocina Criolla" by Carmen Aboy Valldejuli, originally published in 1954 in Spanish. My husband calls it the Puerto Rican Cookbook. Times do not include overnight soaking of the beans. NOTE: If using salted pigs feet, they should also be soaked overnight, in a separate bowl (and rinsed and drained)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 lb dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight in 4 cups salted water
- 1 lb pig's foot
- 1 slice bacon, chopped
- 1 ounce ham, chopped
- 1 chorizo sausage or 1 sweet Italian sausage, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped (about 1/3 a pepper)
- 1/4 cup red pepper, chopped (about 1/3 a pepper)
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped (about 1/2 a medium onion)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 lb pumpkin or 3/4 lb butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 fresh cilantro stems (leaves and stems) or 2 fresh parsley sprigs, chopped (leaves and stems)
- 1/2 lb potato, peeled and diced
- 1 lb cabbage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1Drain beans and set aside.
- 2In a large Dutch oven (or pressure cooker), over medium heat, brown bacon to render some fat; add ham and sausage and brown them a little as well.
- 3Add peppers and onion; saute until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add garlic and saute a minute or so.
- 5Add water, pumpkin or squash (okay, pumpkin is squash), cilantro or parsley, potatoes, and cabbage; stir in tomato paste.
- 6Return pigs feet and add beans to pot; cover and cook 1 1/2 hours (if using pressure cooker - 1 hour).
- 7Open pot, taste for salt and add, if necessary.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa De Garbanzos (Chick Pea Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (688 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 329.7
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 18.2 mg
- Sodium 387.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 16.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: