1/1 Photo of Sopa De Frijoles Con Huevos (Bean and Egg Soup)
Chef Sarita in Austin Texas's Note:
This recipe is very simple and budget friendly. Many of the basic kitchen staples used in many central american countries are included in this recipe. During cold winter months, I always use this recipe as a back up in case I get stumped as to what to make for lunch or dinner
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups of cooked pinto beans
- cilantro, a couple of sprigs
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1 jalapeno, cut down the middle and seeded
- 1 cube chicken bouillon or 1 tablespoon powder chicken bouillon
- 1/2 tablespoon cooking oil
- Tabasco sauce, a couple of shakes (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 3 -4 cups water
- 1In a large pot on medium high, heat up the oil and then saute the onions and bell pepper.
- 2Add the beans, add about 3 cups water (atleast double the height of the beans, there should be enough room for eggs to generously fit on top of the beans and still have water above them). Add the jalapeno, chicken bullion, pepper and any more salt if needed. Add Tabasco to your taste if you desire.
- 3Bring to a rapid boil then lower heat to medium. Before going to the next step, make sure that there will be enough water in the pot, above the beans, to cover eggs when they are dropped inches If the water level looks too low, add a little more water.
- 4Gently crack eggs and DROP into the pot, starting at the edge first and then cracking/dropping the rest of the eggs around the edge until you reach the center. The eggs should not touch each other. Cover and let simmer for about 10 mins or until the yolk is set. Sprinkle the cilantro leaves on top of the soup the last couple of minutes of cookin.
- 5To serve, put about 1/2 cup rice on the bottom of a soup bowl and laddle soup on top of rice (carefully placing the 2 eggs on top). Serv with warm corn tortillas.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa De Frijoles Con Huevos (Bean and Egg Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (657 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 459.3
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 372.0 mg
- Sodium 473.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 25.5 g