Recipe by Chef Sarita in Austin Texas
This recipe is very simple and budget friendly. Many of the basic kitchen staples used in many central american countries are included in this recipe. During cold winter months, I always use this recipe as a back up in case I get stumped as to what to make for lunch or dinner
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
This recipe made my husbands day. He loved it! I used homemade pintos, was out of cilantro, but I bet that would have been delicious. I served it with a little grated cheese and some minced onion. Great comfort food for a chilly fall morning. I imagine we'll be enjoying this any time of day for many years to come. Thanks so much for sharing the keeper recipe.
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups of cooked pinto beans
- cilantro, a couple of sprigs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped white onion
- 1 jalapeno, cut down the middle and seeded
- 1 cube chicken bouillon or 1 tablespoon powder chicken bouillon
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cooking oil
- Tabasco sauce, a couple of shakes (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked white rice
- 3 -4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot on medium high, heat up the oil and then saute the onions and bell pepper.
- Add the beans, add about 3 cups water (atleast double the height of the beans, there should be enough room for eggs to generously fit on top of the beans and still have water above them). Add the jalapeno, chicken bullion, pepper and any more salt if needed. Add Tabasco to your taste if you desire.
- Bring to a rapid boil then lower heat to medium. Before going to the next step, make sure that there will be enough water in the pot, above the beans, to cover eggs when they are dropped inches If the water level looks too low, add a little more water.
- Gently crack eggs and DROP into the pot, starting at the edge first and then cracking/dropping the rest of the eggs around the edge until you reach the center. The eggs should not touch each other. Cover and let simmer for about 10 mins or until the yolk is set. Sprinkle the cilantro leaves on top of the soup the last couple of minutes of cookin.
- To serve, put about 1/2 cup rice on the bottom of a soup bowl and laddle soup on top of rice (carefully placing the 2 eggs on top). Serv with warm corn tortillas.