Recipe by Member #610488
This wonderful recipe is from a Latin America restaurant in the Washington DC area.
- 2 lbs black turtle beans
- 1 1⁄2 ounces olive oil
- 8 ounces onions, small diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 ounces jalapenos, chopped
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 quarts vegetable stock or 5 quarts water
- 1 lb drained canned tomato, chopped
- hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- 8 ounces avocados, medium diced for garnish
- 8 ounces spanish dry chorizo sausage, medium diced for garnish
- 8 ounces tomatoes, medium diced for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans overnight in cold water.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy soup pot over moderate heat. Add the onions, garlic, and jalapeno. Cook over low heat until almost tender, then stir in the paprika, cumin, coriander, and bay leaf.
- Add the stock or water. Drain the soaked beans and add them to the pot. Cover and simmer until the beans are just tender. Add the tomatoes.
- Continue to simmer until the beans are completely tender and the flavors are well blended, about 20 to 30 minutes. Add salt and hot pepper sauce, to taste.
- Carefully mix together the diced avocado, chorizo and tomato. Garnish each portion of the soup with a spoonful of this mixture.